Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Letting Go

Well, I apologize, it has been a few weeks since my last blog entry. Things have been pretty hectic in this Rambler's world. The Rambler family just got back from a trip to the East coast, and it was action packed! What a wonderful trip. I have so much love for this amazing family of mine - and that laughing baby girl and her two sharp little teeth!

That being said, this wouldn't be a post of mine if I didn't include a few random segues, so here goes. Earlier today, I was driving and just feeling so incredibly blessed. Things are strange at work, sure, but that stuff comes and goes. Overall, I'm happy where I'm at, and happy to have the family and friends that I do, even if being a new mom means I don't get to see them quite as often as I used to.

While these thoughts sort of tumbled around in my head, I started to think of this blog. Keeping a blog can be kind of intimidating. I mean - what do I really have to say that no one else can say, perhaps better? So, topics for the blog drifted in and out of my head. I am still trying to find my groove editing Waking Dreams (ie: how many times should I edit the prologue before I just move on to the next chapter?), so there's really no news to report there. As the jumble cleared its way out, I remembered what got me into writing Waking Dreams in the first place. At first, it somehow became an exploration into the nature of fear. Me? I'll be honest, I'm not afraid of getting hurt (well, no more than is healthy). Monsters don't really scare me (I mean, what are you going to do if a monster rears its head and roars at you? Run like hell, sure, but what's the point in being afraid of monsters? It'll eat you, or you'll get away. No point sweating the in-between, I think.)

My biggest fear had always been loss. Perhaps my ambivalence about the usual fears (spiders, monsters, fires, falling, etc) can be traced to the violence I was raised with - watching my mom get beaten, hiding my own black-eyes at school, the bruises, and explaining away the oddly headshaped holes in your bedroom wall that you try to forget happened because you looked at your parent wrong.... Surprises can make your heart beat faster, unpredictability can leave you feeling shaken, but loss... You can recover your balance, and your heart beat will usually slow back down, bruises will fade, bones will heal, but loss? Things lost don't come back.

I don't know why I was so morbid, even at an early age. My earliest nightmares were about haunted houses and forests, but I wasn't afraid of the ghosts. I was always afraid of what they would take away from me. I would clutch the hands of my siblings, trying to drag each one of them to safety, only to look around and see that I had lost one or all of them. That I had let go of their hand, and they were gone, experiencing some unimaginable horror.  As a child, I used to stand on my tiptoes on a chair by the window in the living room, poking my eyes to the tall window so I could watch and wait for my mom to get home. Every night, I was convinced it would be the night that I wouldn't see her beaten clunker's headlights round that corner. That would be the night she didn't come home and someone would come to tell me she was gone. I expected loss, but was so afraid of it.

I think this is why I was so persistent with my mom's mental illness - all those nightmares of me on the outside, watching her drown as I beat against the glass wall, trying to break it and free her;  standing alone in a murky forest, calling her (or my siblings') name, and suddenly turning to the dark part of the forest, the FORBIDDEN part, and knowing to the depths of my soul that she had gone there and that if I followed her, I would never come out... I always woke up just as I stepped into the fog, my heart racing, like those dreams that force you awake because you know you with certainty that death is approaching. I always stepped into the mist in those dreams, because standing on the outside wondering felt so much worse - I couldn't stand the thought of someone I loved lost, hurt and wounded, and me standing idly by. It wasn't just my mom I dreamed about - it was the same dreams over and over, with the characters constantly changing. My mom, my siblings, my husband, everyone I cared deeply about, they came to play a role in these nightmares. The House dream was one of the worst. Sometimes I lost my little brother, sometimes it was my little sister, sometimes everyone. For some reason, in the dreams where my older sister was lost, in those dreams, everyone died. I think she always seemed the most able, so if she floundered, I knew I had no hope.

The first dream about the House, it was my little brother I lost (I realize now that my little sister hadn't been born yet, which dates this first nightmare to my being 6 years old) - I was looking for my mother in this large antique house with ornate carpeting. I went down a spiral staircase and saw her standing above a seated man, talking to him and laughing. I'm about to yell in relief at having found her but then I see the man's face - it's rotten and skeletal, flesh dripping and one eye hanging from its socket. I muffle a scream as I realize that my Mom is lost to this dead, rotting man. She's succumbed to this creature's magic and I know full well that am too little to drag her away. Then I remember that my sister and brother are in the House, too. I need to find them and drag them out the front door, before the monster's magic somehow steals them and traps them in the House forever. Somehow, I find them, grab their hands and pull them down the hall way that seems to get longer and longer, the carpet coming alive and twisting, grasping at our ankles. Somehow, my panic keeps us going forward, and I pull and pull, trying to drag my siblings to safety until I feel hands slip through my fingers and my brother sinks into the carpet, and I watch his screaming face disappear with feeling of utter failure and loss....

That fear drove me, powered every fiber of my being for such a long time. Only now, so so many years later, do I realize that it wasn't loss I was afraid of. It was letting go.

Luckily, with loving friends and family and a sweet husband who assures me that he is just tardy, so I don't need to call him every 30 seconds to make sure he isn't lying in a ditch somewhere - well, I'd like to say that I am cured of my fear of letting go. But that would make me a liar. And I hate lying. I feel heartache that my mom suffered through her mental illness so alone, but I don't feel responsible any more. I can kiss her fingers and let her walk into that shadowed forest, knowing she could have found her way back to me. She wouldn't have wanted me to enter the dark to find her - all I needed to do was wait at the edge for her, and she would return to me. It's the same with my siblings and my husband - I needed to learn that I could trust people to come back, trust that they would tell me if they were hurting and alone, and trust that if I just let go... they would be all right.

And I can know, with great warmth in my heart, that I loved them, trusted them, and, even if something horrible happened, that that love followed them wherever they might go.

And that's all right.

- The Rambler

2 comments:

  1. I love you so much, BLS. I hope I have something more profound to say later, but for right now . . . that says everything, as my heart/head are overwhelmed just with this sense of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you so much, LBS. <3 I wouldn't be who I am today, if I didn't have someone to look up to and who shared their dreams every step of the way! :)

      Delete